Adopt a Highway Program
You can get involved in Mississippi’s litter prevention efforts by adopting a section of a state-maintained highway and make a commitment to keeping it clean and litter free.
Who can participate?
Anyone can apply to adopt a section of highway: fraternities or sororities, civic organizations, church groups, scout groups and commercial or private enterprises.
How can you get involved?
To submit an application for admission into the Adopt-A-Highway Program, or contact the MDOT District Litter Prevention Coordinator in your area, visit the contact page.
If your application is approved, you agree to:
- Provide manpower to pick up litter on both sides of a one (1) to two (2) mile stretch of highway.
- Agree to pick up litter at least four (4) times per year.
- Agree to abide by all MDOT program safety rules and guidelines.
- Submit an Activity Reporting Form after each pick up
- Provide official safety vests, gloves, trash bags and “Workers Ahead” traffic safety signs.
- Provide, free of charge, an Adopt-A-Highway sign displaying the name of the adopting group.
- Provide safety rules and guidelines.
- Remove litter bags after pick up at prearranged locations.
- Interested groups must first complete an application for highway adoption.
- If the application is approved, the District Litter Prevention Coordinator executes a written agreement with the Mississippi Transportation Commission (MTC).
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Class Two (2) safety vests shall be worn at all times by participants in the program.
- Participating groups shall abide by all regulations and safety requirements which are included in the Adopt-A-Highway Program Agreement.
- Volunteers will save harmless the Mississippi Department of Transportation from any and all claims for damages by persons working on this program.
- Volunteers shall work only when traffic control signs are in place.
- No person under the age of 12 will be allowed to assist in litter removal from highway rights of way; however, persons between the ages of 12 and 15 may participate providing there is: One adult present for every five participants in this age category.
- No pets allowed at pick up sites.
- Stay off of pavement surfaces during pickups.
- Park vehicles off the pavement and do not park on curves, bridge decks, near or under overpasses or in medians.
- MDOT prohibits the possession, consumption or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol while performing litter pick up on state highway rights-of-way.
- Report any hazardous objects to your Adopt-A-Highway Regional Coordinator
- Litter pick up shall take place between the hours of one hour after sunrise to one hour before sunset and shall not take place during inclement weather.